Tackling some health problems
What’s going on with me?
I haven’t shared details of my current medical issues with everyone yet. That’s at least in part because I’m still working to get to the bottom of everything.
Here’s the quick of what I do know though:
I developed a kidney infection out of the blue. That sped me down a road with some of the most potent antibiotics I’ve ever had and looking for answers through blood work.
“High”-lights from the blood labs:
- High A1C
- High fasting blood glucose
- High Cholesterol
- High Triglycerides
- High Liver enzymes
- High Bilirubin
Those last few can be super scary for liver complications.
Sonogram of my liver showed:
- signs of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
- enlarged size
- no cirrhosis
The original kidney problem was handled easily enough, but brought to light all of these other issues that are contributing to poor health. The good news is that it’s early enough, and all of this is reversible with lifestyle changes and a bit of help from some medication.
It’s definitely been a wake up call. I’ve taken some time from work to prioritize dropping the weight, building a routine of regular exercise, and cleaning up the diet. I cannot say enough how much I appreciate Nebulaworks support as I prioritize my health.
I have visits with specialists at the end of the month in San Antonio where I’m hoping to answer more questions:
- NAFLD and high bilirubin are not a typical combination, so there’s still a potential liver complication we’ve yet to discover. So, “Why the high bilirubin?”
- “What does eating healthy look like for me?” I have a lot to learn about cooking healthy meals, and even more about the nutrition my body needs. Panera salads have been a good starting point for me. I’m interested in quick and healthy, as well as finding new tastes that I can love.
- “What is the best plan for exercise?” I’m currently walking 3-5 miles per day. I have immediate goals for weight loss and then also goals for maintenance and sustainability as I return to work.
I’m planning on using this blog reboot to share my progress and experiences, but more importantly to celebrate my health wins!