OKRs post I’m tracking against.
(7/10) Objective: Reshape my body
- Weight loss
- I’m now down 35lbs over the past 2 months. This is still largely due to a strict diet and a healthy amount of exercise.
- Walking highlights
- I have been overtraining and my feet and lower legs are not recovering properly between workouts.
- I’ve lowered my workouts to 2 miles per day and will slowly build up higher over time.
- I’m adding some light resistance training to supplement some of the walking miles I’m losing.
- I’m still experiencing success with low carb and whole foods
- I’ve shifted into a daily intermittent fasting mode. I’m currently cycling on a 16:8 IF schedule. (I eat all of my daily calories within an 8 hour window)
- As long as I eat plenty of protein and fat, I’ve found it easy to stick with finishing dinner by 7pm, skipping breakfast, and having lunch by 1pm or so the next day.
(8/10) Objective: Understand my body and health issues.
- Nothing new to add to podcasts or books from my last check-in.
- I’ve resubscribed to youtube and found a lot of really great material there also though! I’ll follow up with some posts detailing some of the notes I’m taking.
(6/10) Objective: Implement sustainable lifestyle changes
- Wearing the Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) helped me identify what to eat and how to curb the spikes after eating foods heavier in sugars or carbs.
- I’ve also taken the opportunity to learn how hyper (high) and hypo (low) blood sugar feels. It’s mind blowing how much food (or the lack of it) impacts the body.
- Circuit Training
- I’ve been to the gym!
- The treadmill and I are friends, but I haven’t quite made it over to the weight machines yet.
- 20 miles per week walking/running
- I hurt my foot, so I didn’t quite hit my goal this past week.
- I did put in 18.6 miles. So close, but not a great finish for the week.
- cook 5 healthy meals
- Last week I did cook some chicken breast pretty well.
- We have been grocery shopping, and I’ve got a few things I’m looking forward to trying.
- blog post per week
- discipline of morning/evening routine
- Early mornings are still a challenge.
- Getting to sleep at a decent hour is getting better.
- We have new challenges now that we’re back “home” and have access to all our friends and family. It’s too easy to stay up late catching up with everyone.
- 8 hours of sleep
- I’m starting to see some consistency here.
- I did it!
- I’m adding some Calium, more Vitamin D, and Turmeric daily for my foot recovery.
- Travel days
- This past weekend we wrapped up the last 6.5 hours of our 6-month long road trip.
- We encountered a lot of traffic while not on the back roads.
- Getting setup in New Braunfels felt very relaxing, if only because we aren’t planning any RV trips through the end of the year at least.
- Foot woes
- I overtrained and injured my left foot.
- After staying off it for a few days I feel more or less normal, but I’m going to take it easy.
- I’ve scheduled a visit with a podiatrist to review my form, shoes, and the structure of my foot.
- Visiting with the Hepatologist
- This week is my “big game” week.
- I’ve put in a significant amount of effort to drop weight through diet and exercise. I’m excited to learn how my progress tracks with my effort.
- My aim is for the blood labs (7/3 -> 8/15) to show a U-turn and present a clear path to recovery.
This past week was difficult with back to back travel weekends, so I did not capture priorities for this past week. Boo!
I can at least share some accomplishments.
- P1: Blood glucose in range
- I leveraged diet choices and exercise to keep my blood glucose average at 70mm/dL for the 2 weeks I wore the CGM.
- P1: maintain healthy diet through the stress of travel days
- This was a challenge, but we have managed to keep it low carb and whole foods.
- P2: improve blog dev to make it easier to post
- Most of my development is on a remote server, but this makes regularly posting content more challenging.
- I installed everything to make blog posts locally on my laptop.
- Everything is working and this post was written locally! So more content to come!
…and some things I’ve started but not yet finished:
- P1: newsletter and RSS for blog
- I did discover that the blog RSS feed is https://blog.ruebenramirez.com/index.xml, but I still need to update the site to make this easy to find.
- I haven’t yet identified the right newsletter integration, but I’m sure I’ll get to the bottom of everything this week.
- P1: Resistance training schedule
- I know that I want to keep things light and aerobic to align with the low carb diet I’m on.
- Beyond the dietary considerations, I’ve still got a lot to learn about what is and what is not in range.